Saturday, November 28, 2009

My trip to New Zealand

After 30 hours of travel time my sisters, mom and I finally arrived at our final destination----Queens town, New Zealand. My dads working on the South Island of New Zealand for a month so we came down for a visit.We were so happy to finally be there and get off the plane.And this is the beauty we saw! It was gorgeous here. It's kind of a Park City, Utah feel. Tons of great food, a tram to the top of the mountain and streets of shopping. We loved it here.It's hard to believe that this isn't a post card--I took this picture-----I saw this place!!!!!We went to the top of the mountain and looked down on the lake. It was amazing!We rode these sleds down part of the mountain. I laughed so hard--it reminded me of being a kid again--just what I needed.Ginny tried on some New Zealand attire. We were laughing so hard it took me 10 pictures to finally get one of her looking like a lamb.We spent a lot of time driving in the car to see all of the sites. Sometimes we felt like we'd go crazy if we spent 1 more hour in that car but mostly we just laughed and laughed. It was so great spending time with my sisters and mom with no one else to take care of. We went back into our sister roles and my mom went back into her nurturing mom role. It was wonderful--except when we ran out of gas and no gas stations were open and we'd been driving for over 9 hours and me and Ginny were going from bar to bar asking people for gas and a lonely man was telling us we could sleep in his house and my mom was thinking we might just do that and I was freaking out and Megan was telling me to take a Valium---except for that.It can't be too bad if this is what your seeing along the drive.We stopped in a tiny town where Lord of the Rings was filmed and saw the sites. It was so cool! This is the place where they filmed the bogs scene when the dead bodies come up and try to grab the hobits.When we finally got to where my dad was working we were so happy. He took us to see the motorcycle "the Indian" that broke the world record for speed on the Salt Flats in Utah. It was a guy from Invercargill New Zealand that broke it.Then we went to the southern most point of Invercargill where we were the closest to Antarctica. Right over there my friends---right over there! And just in case your curious--No, I'm not pregnant in this picture--the wind was blowing hard and blew me a 5 month pregnant belly!
Wherever we went we had delicious hot chocolate and ice cream. They are the Kings of all things dairy in New Zealand.We also had to sample the fish and chips while we were there. They were of course AMAZING!
Thank you mom and dad for an incredible trip. It was a whirl wind but reminded me to let little things stay little, enjoy life and remember to laugh--a lot! I loved it!





4 comments:

Karalea-Karalea said...

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing the beauty of your trip. What a treat to see those photos!

Caprice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caprice said...

What an amazing trip!! I want to see more pics!

LL said...

I can imagine the laughter...you guys are FUNNY!
So glad you got to go~and nothing beats a get away with Sisters!