Friday, June 18, 2010

Girls Camp

I was asked to be the Girls Camp Director this year for our ward. After much planning and organizing the week finally came. I'd never been to this camp before and as it was run much differently than previous Girls Camps I'd been to--I had no idea what to expect. I learned one thing really fast---DO NOT PUT YOUR ELBOWS ON THE TABLE!!!!!! I learned this during our first meal in the cafeteria when Amy Stephenson (here cooking all week long) put her elbows on the table. What ensued after that was a very joyful song about manners and the consequence that followed. She had to get up on her chair and sing a song in front of everyone to remind her not to put her elbows on the table EVER AGAIN.
Each morning we had flag raising ceremony and it rotated among the girls to participate. During the day the girls certified, did crafts, swam in the pool, ate delicious food and were spiritually nurished.


We had lot's and lot's of games--some which included the mud.




And then the hike--I remembered this part! I learned all sorts of songs during this 6 mile adventure.


Our fearless leaders guiding the way.

Here are my valiant girls. They each had to give themselves a spy name since the camp theme was Mission Possible. Some of these girls as well as others in the cabin kept me up till 3 am. I realized during this week that I'm not as young as I once was.


I grew to love each of these girls this week and was grateful that each of them had this week to grow spiritually stronger in a world that is trying to destroy their spirit. My heart ached for the real struggles that they face each day. I learned this week that it truly is a challenging time for the youth and they need every bit of love and support they can get. I was honored to be able to give it to them this week. I look forward to watching them become strong women of the church.



1 comment:

Karalea-Karalea said...

Oh, how fun! Won't it be crazy when Brinly and Amelia are going to Girl's Camp? Hopefully they will be blessed with a great leader...like you!