Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Fun with my Sister and Family

My sister Ginny and her husband Wally and 3 kids came to visit for a week and then my sister stayed with her kids for 5 additional days. We had so much fun together and the cousins were so happy to play non-stop (I must admit there was fighting, teasing, arguing, name calling, tattle-telling, etc. involved--nothing out of the ordinary when you put 7 sleep deprived kids together for nearly 2 weeks). And due to the above mentioned there were a few emotional, fatigue breakdowns by Ginny and I--nothing that couldn't be worked out by locking ourselves in my bathroom for a little spa pedicure treatment for an hour while the little kids banged on the door. Aside from that---we all had tons of fun and Lot's and Lot's of laughter. We started out our week by taking them for a little barbecue. Most of us enjoyed the "Z-Man"--I know Ginny did.
The next day we went downtown. We started out with a little lunch at Fritz's which is all about the experience--not the food. The kids love to see that train deliver the food.
Next we hit Kaleidoscope. This is a free craft extravaganza put on by Hallmark who's head quarters are here in Kansas. The kids had so much fun creating puzzles, using fluorescent paint and making wands. This is such a great place!
On the way to the fountains we saw this Lego exhibit. The sunflower behind everyone is made out of Lego's--Amazing!
On a day when the temperature rose to the 110 degree range-- playing in water seemed very appropriate. So we hit the fountains outside. Little Miss Avery didn't warm up to this until the end but when she did she had a great time. Lucy and Jace would not participate---very scary to the little people.
I thought if Cardon took him in and got him wet he'd get the hang of it and have fun--he did not! He was pretty mad.

Cousins are the best! What a fun and HOOOOOOT day!



4 comments:

Jenni said...

I love that you locked yourself in your bathroom and did pedi's! Sometimes I lock myself in my bathroom, but next time I'm totally painting my nails! Looks like you had a great two weeks!!!

Are you in Utah now? How was the drive????

LL said...

FUN!!!
I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks.
Hope you guys are having fun in UTAH!

Nikki said...

why are you in Utah and not calling me? Argh!!! i know family is it but come on....I could come see you at your family's place :) Miss you so much. you are making Kansas more and more appealing. Chad keeps threatening. He found a great piece of land in Paola! He's all for it.

Olivia W. said...

Family is the best!!! There are a few universal truths when it comes to tons of cousins squished into one house for days on end, aren't there? I feel like we had a couple of identical weeks there! Glad things are getting back to normal...