Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ordinary moments create the extraordinary

So I was talking to my friend Valerie last evening while I was outside taking pictures of the kids and she accused me of "blogging". I told her that I was just taking pictures of the kids. After a little thought on the subject, I must confess that this "blogging" has made me more aware of all the little things that go on in my life on a daily basis. I've always taken pictures when we go on outings--you know the big things but haven't ever given thought to taking pictures of the ordinary things that we do each day, week, etc. I remember a picture of me and my older sister and brother laying on the heating vents as little kids with blankets over us. The air would blow up the blanket so that it was a balloon of hot air and we would lay there for what seemed like hours all toasty warm. I loved that picture because it reminded me of a good memory of home with my brother and sister. This gave me a novel idea. How about capturing the ordinary--maybe someday they will be extraordinary to my family. So, almost every evening after dinner the kids like to go out and play in the yard, especially as it is cooling off. Brinly is the 2nd momma in the family and is usually happy to push Amelia on the swings (I must admit that I don't do this nearly enough). The girls play really well together--most of the time (we all have our moments) and it's fun to see them enjoy each other. I have 3 sisters with lots of fun memories, so it does my heart good to see them creating their own. Cardon has football practice twice a week and as soon as he got home he wanted to show me his "moves". Jace just wants to do everything the 'big kids' are doing but he especially loves balls. He wants to throw and kick every ball in his sight. BJ is at the church working with the youth on Wednesday nights so he didn't get to be with us but he's usually here throwing the ball with Cardon or pushing the kids on the swings. We stayed outside until we thought we might be near death from mosquito bites. I got one right in the middle of my forehead--nice! This is a good life. People always say that life goes so quickly when your kids are small--I do believe that to be true. 11 years has already gone by in a blink of an eye. I just had a flash forward of these little ones as teenagers! AHHH! I think I'll just stick to this stage for now.






6 comments:

Jenni said...

I have found myself taking my camera everywhere with me, trying to catch moments and not the momentous. It's the small things that make up the big things don't you think? I hope my children will look back on my blog and thank me for journaling our lives while they were young.

Amy said...

Hey Karina! Found your blog through Jenni's :) I'm a blogger too, and I take pictures just solely for the purpose of putting it on my blog. ::rolling eyes:: This is the BEST and easiest way for me to journal. It's so boring for me to sit down & write, plus my hand starts cramping too. I'm a wimp.

Lori said...

I can't believe how big your kids are getting!! And Cardon looks so old in his football uniform. Miss you guys!! (And I'm glad your blogging!!)

LL said...

amen to THAT! i've always been good at the picture taking, but NOW, I do it knowing I will actually journal it.
It's the little things, that's for sure!

Olivia W. said...

since when did "blogging" become a bad word? you were right on when you said that blogging makes you think about the big and little events that make up our lives. i think it's terrific that you are documenting it - i've also found that when things happen, i think about putting it up on my blog to share with my friends and family. great job, and i enjoy checking out what's going on with one of my favorite families around!

Semiprecious1 said...

Hey, blogging rocks. It is the most fun and awesome way to keep a journal. Tell Valerie to put her mad computer skills to use and try it ;) I only wish I would have started sooner!!! I was bummed for a long time because I keep scrapbooks for each of my children but not one for our family that I will be able to keep. Now I have one!!! It's my blog.