Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Kansas City Half Marathon

For the last 9 weeks BJ and I have been training for the Half Marathon. I didn't love having to run long runs when I wasn't feeling up to it (long nights, little sleep, busy days) but I really wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I tried training for one when I lived in Arizona and got up to about 7 miles and just couldn't push through the fatigue it caused. So, yesterday morning BJ and I got up at 5:30 am and headed downtown to run this race. We both slept horrible with anticipation not to mention a picture frame falling to the ground in the middle of the night shattering glass all over the kitchen floor making it even harder to get a good nights sleep. The only comfort was knowing that we had done the training and were prepared to run. The race was hard--the hills made it even harder but my goals were to never walk and be faster than a 10 min. mile. Most of the race I didn't think I would accomplish either of those goals as what seemed like hundreds of people passed me. I kept going and it turned out that I accomplished both goals. BJ ran in 4 year old shoes and I had some shoe issues myself so we are taking high levels of Advil at the moment but we both feel pretty good. I never want to do it again but I'm glad I was able to prove this body wrong and accomplish a seemingly impossible goal.BJ trained with friends from work. We were all so excited to cross that finish line!

Thank you to my friends for the sweet note of encouragement on our car the morning of the race! What a fun surprise! I can't wait to do pilates, yoga, weights, the stair climber, etc.---anything that doesn't have the word "run" in it this week!!!!!!



3 comments:

Serendipity said...

Awesome! I am so proud of you! That would be really hard for me! Way to go!

Jenni said...

You know I'm proud of you :) Love the pictures, you make running look gorgeous!

Karalea-Karalea said...

Wow! Congratulations. I have no desire to run that distance! I wish I did, but I don't! I will stick with muddy 10k's! Great job!