Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Favorites!!!!

Cardon gets my vote today and since I'm the only vote that counts on this blog---he is the winner! Cardon will always have a special place in my heart--maybe because he is my first or because he was born so early and required special attention, or maybe just because he is such a stalwart little boy (he's actually getting so big)--it's probably a combination of all 3.
Cardon was born almost 8 weeks early. I had started bleeding about a week before he was born and then my water broke. While at the hospital my placenta ruptured and so he was taken by emergency C-section. He was a little miracle weighing in at 5 lbs. 7 ounces. Unreal! He should have been 3 1/2 lbs. He stayed in the hospital for 13 days and twice a day I was driven back and forth to hold and feed him. He was so tough and BJ and I were so proud the day he came home with us.
When Cardon was around 3 months old I had a special experience with him. He was in his swing perfectly content and I was getting ready to get into the shower. As I walked into the bathroom I had a bad feeling. I went into the living room where he was and checked on him. He was fine so I went back into the bathroom and again I had a bad feeling. I went back into the living room and checked that all the doors to the house were locked. They were and so I went back into the bathroom where again I had this feeling. I went back to where he was and noticed that he had been staring up into the corner of the room. Babies do this a lot but as I looked into his eyes I saw a mature little spirit and the words came into my head and heart that "Cardon was here to fight for Jesus". I spoke to him and asked him if he was indeed here to "fight for Jesus" and he broke his gaze and gave me a little smile. The bad feeling left at that point. What precious moments we as parents get to participate in the lives of our children!
As Cardon has gotten older I have experienced several other spiritual experiences with him. I know that this is not an everyday occurrence as I haven't had many or any right now that I can think of with my other children but he was sent first to our family to be the leader. Sometimes I feel bad that he had to come first because so much pressure exists on the shoulders of a first born. He is the example to his sisters and brothers and with that comes a lot of expectations. He has taken that pressure in his stride however and I am so grateful that he came to lead. I love this little boy. He was just baptized in April and I was so thrilled to see him take this step in his spiritual life. He is in 3rd grade and loves to play soccer everyday at recess with his friends, play Lego Indianna Jones on the Wii, play webkins on the computer and play tackle football with his team. He is getting really tall and super fast. I usually race him to the corner every morning as we walk to school and I usually beat him (as I am quite fast myself). He is now starting to legitimately beat me. He's a great reader and loves to learn. I am so proud him. I get sad thinking how fast they grow up. I sometimes wish I could put certain stages in a bottle for safe keeping so that they'll never go away. I love this little boy and am proud to say that "HE IS MY FRIDAY FAVORITE"!!!! Yea for Cardon!
P.S. BJ and I listened to Elton John "Blessed" on the way to the hospital before I delivered Cardon and it brought us comfort--So, this is Cardons' Song.




3 comments:

Olivia W. said...

yay cardon! he really is a sweet boy, and is definitely a leader in his CTR 8 class. as a teacher, i am blessed to have such a smart and kind boy who sets a great example for the others. keep up the good work!

LL said...

GO CARDO!
We love Cardon...i will never forget the day he was born. The family pulled together, started a fast and PRAYED. What a scary few hours...but he was born a fighter. And he's such a cute little fighter.
We love you Cardon!

Semiprecious1 said...

Ahhh. Cardon. I miss him all ready. He really is a man among men for his young age. Great things are in store for this guy.
Miss you guys!