Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday's Menu!!!

Dinner Rolls (the best ever!!!)
1 c. milk-heated
1/2 c. butter melted
1/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs--lightly beaten
3/4 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
1 slightly rounded tbl. of SAF yeast (I believe you can get it at HyVee here in Kansas)--this is important because it is an active form of yeast which makes things rise very fast--less time in the kitchen! I pour the bag into a freezer ziploc bag and store in my fridge.
In a mixer put your milk (you want to heat it in the microwave until it's hot--not boiling, but hot), butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups of flour. As it's mixing add the yeast and then the additional 2 cups of flour. Let it mix for 3-4 min. and then cover and let rise for 20-30 min. Lightly dust your counter with flour and roll the dough into a large circle (around the size of a large pizza). Cut with a pizza cutter into 16 equal triangles (like pizza slices). Roll like crescent rolls and put them all on a jelly roll pan. Let rise for 15-20 min. and bake at 350 for 15-16 min. In my oven it's 16 min. for perfection! Enjoy--this is a good one!

For dessert orange rolls make the same but add the zest of one whole orange and the juice of half to the dough before you add the flour. As they are cooling on the racks once out of the oven make a frosting with 3 tbl. butter, a touch of vanilla, the rest of the orange juice and powdered sugar to the desired consistency. Drizzle over the tops of the orange rolls just before totally cooled. Voila!! Perfect for a shower, get together, or just Tuesday.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Can't wait to try this one out!! I love the Monday Menu!

Olivia W. said...

your rolls are to die for. i want to try this, but i am afraid i don't have the bread making expertise to take it on. i may be calling you in desperation one night with flour in my hair and my kids screaming in the background. can you picture it? ;-) thanks!

Erin J said...

For real these were the BEST ever! I think that instead of making them myself I am going to have you do it for me. hehehe. There would be dollas involved!

Erin J said...

You know the saying... will work for food! That's me!