Friday, September 12, 2008

We Won't Forget Sept. 11th!!!!

WE WON'T FORGET!!!!!
Each year on September 11th I talk to the kids about what happened on this day 7 years ago. I had just come home from a run, showered and turned on the t.v. to watch The Today Show. There was a fire on one of the floors of a Twin Tower but the news reporters weren't sure what was going on and then we saw a plane hit the other building! As it all unravelled I remember just being dumbfounded, upset, scared, and soooo very sad. After the trauma of that day settled a bit I swore to my little family that this day would NEVER BE FORGOTTEN! So, each year I show pictures to the kids of that day and we talk about the brave men and women that risked their lives and died trying to save the people in those buildings. I talk to them about the brave soldiers who are now doing the same to keep us safe here. We bake a treat and write love notes to the Fire Fighters and take them to a station.
The girls helped me make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (my sister Amy's recipe which is so yummy!)
Amelia's eyeing those delectable little muffins. We all had one and then wrote our love notes.

The kids took the treats and cards in and gave them to the firefighters. This is the biggest fire station in Overland Park. No one had stopped in that day. They were happy to see the kids.


They gave the kids a tour and let them sit in all of the fire trucks. They loved it!


They gave each of the kids a firefighters helmet, sticker badges and trading cards. The kids loved them.






Thank you Fire Fighters!!!!!






7 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful idea! I like that! I should do that w/ my girls. For some reason, I've always shielded them on what happened on 9/11. Imagine my embarrassment when my oldest daughter came home yesterday telling me "why didn't you EVER tell me about 9/11?" I felt so bad. :( Now I know better! We can turn a negative into a positive!

Jenni said...

That IS a wonderful way to celebrate Patriot Day!! I remember watching the news also when things started happening and it seemed to surreal, like an action movie--but it WAS real, and it was happening, and people were dying. What a sad and heroic day, and one we should never forget.

What a great tradition for your family!

Colby and Steph said...

That is so fun...Good on you for doing that.:)

Olivia W. said...

that was awesome of you! it's amazing how strong those emotions come back for me every year. i will never forget that moment when i saw it hit the tower live. i think it's important to remember, and show our appreciation.

Erin said...

What a great way to remember the day. You are such a good mom!

Lori said...

That is a great idea. And those muffins look delicious!!

Karalea-Karalea said...

That was such a great thing to do! I love that you took them to the fire station! Love reading your blog!