Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Too busy for Friday Favorite---Makeup!


Thursday Golfing is my Friday Favorite!!!!


So for 2 whole seasons I have been golfing in a women's league that meets every Thursday afternoon. My good friend and neighbor (Kim) invited me to join with her when I first moved here. I had been given golf clubs from BJ on my 30th birthday with the idea that I would take some lessons and BAMB, I was pregnant again. So, golfing lessons had to wait. This move wasn't especially easy on me with a 9 week old baby and so when she invited me to do this with her I thought "I need to do this for my sanity!!!" I had only played a couple of times and I was terrible. Everyone in my family plays--EVERYONE-except me and I figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about. I think that I had secretly always had issues with golf because it has been and will always be my dads best friend. He plays all the time (seriously-when it was too cold and snowy in the winter he would fly down to California to play there). So when he wasn't playing golf he was watching it which I think is probably the most boring thing you could watch on t.v. Hence, you get my drift. Golf bugged me! So then my 3 sisters and mom started playing and it got bad when they started asking me to watch their kids so they could go and play together. That's where I had to draw the line! I had always sort of been against it but in the last few years I felt a pull toward those long metal poles and a desire to hit something really hard. So I took that "pull" to the golf course and started playing every week. During the course of that season I did end up taking some lessons so that I could learn to hold the club correctly and get some basics on swinging it but otherwise I just practiced once a week with the league (9 holes to be exact).


I must say---I look forward to Thursday, well, every Thursday! I'm not very good at all but I love it. I love the scenery, the sound of birds chirping, butterflies flying, squirrels running up the trees (all those things that I don't fully appreciate with 4 kids running around). I also love the competition that is played by me and only me. I don't feel any pressure to be good or shoot a certain score because my only competition is me! This past week was our last week of the season and it was a beautiful, crisp fall day---gorgeous! It felt so good to be outdoors, in nature, doing something active and every so often I hit the ball so good that it keeps me coming back for more! I love it! So don't be afraid to try something new--you just might end up finding something you love!

3 comments:

LL said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! what fun.

Nikki said...

NICE FORM!!! tee hee hee I don't golf either..surprise, surprise. My mom and sister both do as well :) I'll just stick to the sideline cheering for those of you that actually succeed at athletic type events :) I'm a much better fan! I'm proud of you and think it's great that you give yourself that time to do something fun for yourself! When I lived in KS my friends and I joined a bowling league. Okay, I am sort of good at bowling! ha ha ha It was such a riot and I bowled right up until I was giving birth with Ellerie! So many great memories. I love that you are in Overland Park. I always try to picture where I think your house is :) I miss KANSAS!!!! Whaaaa....

Lori said...

Golf is a great sport. Dave gave me clubs for Mothers Day, but with the summer heat, I haven't been out much. I'm looking forward to cooler weather so I can go out again. Do you see Sara S ? I know she's a big golfer, does she golf with you guys? Just curious to how she's doing.