Thursday, September 18, 2008

Simplify Your Life---Challenge!!!!!

Organize Something---Anything!


I like to look on the Internet at houses that are for sale in my area. I have always done this--I don't know why because we aren't moving but I like to see what's out there, how they've decorated and how much they're asking. So, a week or so ago I saw my dream home ---wrap around porch, dormers on the front, 1 acre, culdesac lot, totally renovated with beautiful taste. I had to go and see it like that day, right now! I called the realtor and our whole family went to go and see this house. It was stunning--beautiful kitchen, dark hard wood floors, amazing laundry room with tons of space for coats, boots, etc. This house was full of charm. Not one bathroom looked the same. Each with different beautiful cabinets, counter tops--all with a different vision. Nothing was matchy, matchy. It was incredible. It was 1000 square ft. smaller than what I have right now but every space had a purpose--I loved it. I took a friend back a few days later because she had to see this magnificent house and she too was struck by it's beauty. I wanted to live in this space. Well, we of course I'm not moving but as I thought about this house I realized something. Our country always wants bigger, better, best. We want all the stuff and then what happens is we just have a house full of "stuff". I have a house full of stuff that I'm holding onto "just in case" and it makes me crazy. I decided as I realized this that what I want is to simplify. I want to get all the "stuff" out of my house and out of my head and live in a space where every room has a purpose. Sooooooo, I have been cleaning out every nook and cranny and am being a little bit ruthless. If I haven't used it for a long time and don't have a strong reason to keep it---It's Gone! I am having a garage sale on Saturday and can't wait to have it all out of my house. I must say that it has honestly been very freeing. So, I took a few before and after pictures of my spaces and am quite pleased at the head way I'm making.

HENCE THE CHALLENGE!!!
I want to see a space that you have cleaned out, gotten rid of and organized and then let me know when it has been completed (with before and after shots) so that I can check it out on your blog. Any space will do--cabinet, drawer, fridge or even a storage room (that's a biggy). I can't wait to see it---Don't let me down people--Be free and live simple!!
BeforeAfter! So pretty!This is my craft/guest room. Not very functional at this point!Yea!!!! Much more functional. I just need to get a permanent Day bed, paint the walls and Voila- a truly functional space!I got the idea to do this blog after I had cleaned out this space. So, I took the after picture but if you could imagine--we could hardly shut the cabinet drawers because kids craft stuff was pouring out of it. As a matter a fact, we didn't even use anything other than the crayon box because that was all we could easily find. Amelia spent the entire afternoon "crafting" after I completed this little project. So fun!

Good Luck! I can't even wait to see the transformations!

5 comments:

Amy said...

My motto this year is simplify.

Having moved to Texas and being pushed two times this year into two smaller homes & apartments (than what we're used to) due to our moves, has made me really irritated at myself for keeping all my junk. I'm currently going through every box that is still in storage.. hoping to dejunk even more!! It's freeing!

Jenni said...

How timely this is for me! I am doing the exact same thing as we speak. We moved from a big house into an apartment this year, and I can't tell you how much stuff I have that I thought we needed.

I have cleaned out every corner and gone through every box we haven't unpacked yet, and have made at least three trips to Goodwill with all that 'stuff.' I must say, our lives are less stressful now. The kids can find their things easily and I am free to do other things instead of constantly searching for lost items.

It's interesting too because I feel calmer, the kids feel more at ease, and the spirit is able to enter more fully and we are more comfortable with the less we have.
Imagine that! Unfortunatly, I didn't take any before pictures!!

Olivia W. said...

oh my gosh! after i was inspired, i went and cleaned out my kids craft drawing cupboard. i don't have the before photo, but i will take an after shot tomorrow. it looks awesome. it definitely was overflowing with junk to where everything would fall out upon opening it. i felt so awesome when a neighborhood girl came over to my house for the first time and said, "i love your house because it's so clean." she had just opened the kids' cupboard and marveled at it's organization. to impress an 8 year old, now that's a feat! i accept your challenge! p.s. i'm glad to know that someone has a craft room that looks like my craft room/office. actually, mine is worse. ;-)

LL said...

you've been BUSY! looks great, and being organized is the best feeling!
good work!!!

Nikki said...

Darn...I just cleaned out my craft room which looked something like your extra bedroom. I wish I would have taken a before photo to post but I'll post the after in a few days. Thanks for the challenge! I need a push! There's still tons of closets/cabinents that I can still do :)